Do you remember the saying, "Like a kid in a sandbox"? Well, as an adult, it may be more potent than you think.
As a trainer, nutrition coach, and a yoga teacher, I have seen so many people become attached and over rigid with their health and wellness goals. They become obsessed about gym time, anxious about enjoying a chocolate bar, depressed if they miss a workout, and reluctant when stepping on a scale.
we begin to feel stuck and stifled in our own goals. we start to not see a way out.
When you lose the Joy and Exploration of your health and well being wants, you lose the keys to the kingdom of your success.
See, here is the thing about your well being desires: they are yours. No one else's. You have EVERY RIGHT to explore the avenues you need to take to make changes. Period.
Why Play matters in your success.
The idea of play (what I mean by it) is not something new. CEOs, Highly Skilled Professionals, and Successful Artists have been using this for ages.
Play, how I define it is:
The capacity to explore actions and ideas not for the sake of going somewhere with it, but for the sake of exploring.
What happens when you do this?
- Doors Open- When you bring play into a situation for example like your food choices, you no longer feel tied down to just ONE choice. You can start to explore different recipes, you can swap food options out, and dare I say even play with your food!
- Options Expand- While it isn't the point of bringing Play into your personal health wants, you will notice that the possibilities become stacked HIGH and could become ENDLESS. Who says you need to lift heavy to create change? Why not yoga, walking, aerobics, zumba, cross country skiing, line dancing, polka dancing, figure skating, hula hooping, skateboard, and so much more? All create great change to your overall health, so don't know 'em until you try 'em!
- Insights Ignite- You may find when you bring play/exploration/creativity to your area where you feel stuck, that new insights occur. You may realize you have been GRUDGINGLY going down a certain way of practicing yoga or meditation and want to try a different practice like tai chi or qi gong!
This practice of bringing play to areas you are stuck has helped me MANY times. The first time I practiced this for ten months straight, my business improved, I booked a musical, I became a more confident person, and I learned to grow up and realize I don't have to be perfect to take action. I just have to take action and explore and see what unfolds.
How do I start bringing play into my life of wellness?
1. Start with one area of your health you feel stuck.
2. Find some sticky notes to write on and a pen to write with.
3. With yourself, or your community of friends and family, start to write on each sticky note ALL THE OPTIONS you can think. Literally.
4. Do not STOP until you can't think of anymore options to play/explore!!!
5. When you feel like you may have exhausted your options, take a moment to pause and see all the new avenues that have opened up.
6. You can repeat this for any area of health, or even life itself.
I hope this idea of play is something you use to create change. It is an underrated practice but so thrilling to do when you feel stuck and still want to succeed.